Comfort Food Done Right - The Healthy Way
Preparation Time: 90 minutes
1-1/2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
4 egg whites
1 cup salsa
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1 pkg. Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
6 portions red potatoes
2 lbs. green beans
3/4 cup skim milk
2 T Butter Buds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, onion, egg whites, salsa, oats, soup mix and black pepper. Press mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan and spread ketchup over the top. Bake in a pre-heated oven until meatloaf is no longer pink in the center and juice is clear, about 60 minutes.
3. Approximately 25 minutes after putting the meatloaf in the oven, cut potatoes into 1" chunks. Place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Cut stems off green beans and place in a large saucepan with 1" of water in the bottom. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
5. Remove meatloaf from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
6. Drain potatoes, mash with 3/4 cup skim milk and add Butter Buds. Mash vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place a portion of meatloaf and mashed potatoes along with about a cup of green beans on each plate. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is from Bill Phillip' Eating for Life.