Sunday, March 11, 2012

Your Thoughts and Weight Loss


The most important factors to successful and permanent weight loss are your thoughts. You must change your mind set.  If you don’t change the way you think about food, you will not be successful in the long term.

Food used to be on my mind all the time. I was always thinking ahead to the next meal. Even worse, I was always thinking ahead to my next sugar fix. We live in a society that is food-centered. We’re blasted with TV and radio commercials selling fast food and junk food. Food is a focal point of all important occasions and holidays.

You have to knock food down to the bottom of the totem pole. Yes, we need food to survive, but it’s just not that important compared to other things in life. I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live.

Think of food simply as fuel for your body. Carbohydrates like brown rice, steel cut oats, whole wheat pasta and Quinoa are energy boosters to get you through the day. Essential fats like olive oil, safflower oil, salmon, tuna and other high-oil fish are the lubricants to keep your body and brain running smoothly. Protein like chicken breast, egg whites, lean beef, low-fat cheese and protein powder is the power behind your muscles. Fresh fruits and vegetables supply you with vital nutrients to keep you healthy and prevent illness. And even though it isn’t food, water, at least 64 ounces a day, is vital to maintaining our bodies.

When I think about what foods to prepare, I think of what of the above mentioned fuel types I need most for the time of day it is and what activities I will be doing. I think about the nutritional value of my food before I think of the pleasure value. It is totally different from the way I used to think. 

Do I enjoy good food? Of course I do. On my free day, usually Sunday, I pretty much eat whatever I want, even a decadent dessert. I also may enjoy a cocktail. My favorite is to go out for sushi and have a glass of plum wine. 


You can try every diet in the book but you will not have lasting results unless you change the way you think about food. It’s not hard to do but it can take a little time. Be gentle with yourself.



I originally posted this 10/30/11 on my other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment